Monastery of Panachrantos
This beautiful Byzantine monastery of Andros is dedicated to the Assumption of Mother Mary and it is located on "Katafygio" mountain.
At an altitude of 600 meters with the resemblance of a fort -Castle Monastery- it is occupying a large area with the buildings built in a rectangular layout. According to tradition, it was built by Emperor Nikiforos Fokas in 963-969 A.C., on his return from the campaign against the Arabs of Crete. From the construction of the Monastery until 1590, unfortunately no documents are saved and this is probably due to the Venetian conquest (1207-1566). The Monastery is open to pilgrims and guests all year round, from sunrise to sunset.